Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Calm Week

Blog logistics:
1) No comments since my last group of posts :( Do people dislike this format? Is my life no longer comment-worthy? Is your life no longer worth posting in sound-bites on my comment board?
2) Pictures are still being figured out. They may never appear on this blog, but hopefully in a few months (I know that's a while, target is late April) they will be up on Picasa or Flickr or Facebook or some such site.
3) For immediate contact, shoot me an email, I'd love to hear from you.

Not much to report from school this week. The first years (freshmen) arrived, but apparently we don't start teaching them until next week. Yesterday was my first full day as an agriculture teacher (2 lessons). I chose to talk about agroforestry, since I actually know a few things there, and land tenure, since I can pick that up. Now I'm in Voi, visiting with two of the volunteers here. We went out to another community where the primary school has 1000 students and 16 teachers. Yikes!

The teachers here use the cane a lot. :(

Take care for now. I'm sure you've got enough to read with the other new posts...

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Umm wow thats posting almost daily. I guess I'm behind in reading. Apparently Kenya has good internet? Pete

Unknown said...

something weird happened...I got the last like 6ish posts all at once (notification that is...RSS) so I had quite a bit of reading when I opened my reader this morning.

That strike sounds brutal, if it persists--things seem to be in flux there.

Also..I have to say I had a bit of a chuckle when you wrote about the headmaster duties, I can see it now...

~Dulli

Leanne said...

Yeah, you must have way-good internet. I had 8 things due this week so I haven't been keeping up - also I'm better at email and suck at reading blogs but I'll try and be better. I'm glad you got a bed, and I don't think I would have eaten the termite if it looked like a bug. hell no. grind it up or something. and teach them PV = nRT. duh. ok off to play some IM soccer! haha the word I have to type in to verify my blog post on this website is "glistros" that sounds funny.

Leanne said...

actually not that you mention it, do you feel like changing the font on your blog to something less vertical and narrow-looking? i'm not talking anything majorly wide-looking, but something slightly easier? i love garamond although i think thats probably not appropriate hahaha. courier? whatever just not arial narrow.

mimi said...

I know the teachers can be very rough on the students there but the worst thing you want to do is make a negative comment directly to them about it. That is a cultural thing that will be hard to break. They will not show it directly to you that they 'didn't like your opinion', but they might be left talking about it. Otherwise Great job and keep up the spirit.

Cassandra said...

Hey...this is not really a response to this specific post but just saying hi and I hope you're having a fantastic time despite all the disorganization. I just read every single entry in your blog in one sitting (yes, I'm procrastinating work), and I had no idea you knew things like agriculture and coal? Anyway, it sounds cool.

PS What's your email? My mom sent it to me but I lost it...

Unknown said...

What are the other subjects that get covered? You said there were seven... or are those only the ones they get tested on? Hope the classes are off to a good start.
Pete

Leanne said...

ok well now you haven't written for 10 days and it's annoying me. Update! I'm going SCUBA diving this weekend. That's about all that's new with me lol.

Kate said...

I totally agree with Leanne! I've been checking all the time since your last post. Now I really can't wait til your next update! Reading your posts has brought back all my education in education. I miss teaching, so I hope it's ok if I live vicariously through you!