Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Frisbee Tournament in Mombasa Day 4+5

Monday was a nice relaxing day for all of us. We had a slow morning and tried to get all the moisture out of the tent and our sleeping bags before packing up. The remainder of the team was heading down to Diani Beach for a bit more relaxation, while I traveled with some of my Peace Corps friends back to Mombasa. Mercifully, they helped me get back across the ferry since I was hauling the tent and an extra sleeping bag. They also told me about some administrative changes that sounds exciting and of course, the conversation then devolved into politics as it always does.

Back in Mombasa, I ran to the supermarket for some snacks and then went to the bus station and booked a seat on the bus. Not a moment too soon, since I grabbed the last seat on the bus. Then I went and booked a room in a nearby guest house and just slept away the afternoon in front of the fan. Turns out going to bed late, sleeping in damp bedding and waking up early every day had caught up with me. I woke up at 8 PM and realized that I needed to grab a bite.

I walked down the street and noticed that I had tons of options. I couldn't help thinking that if I were back in Arusha at this hour, I would have trouble finding places that were open aside from the bars and they're usually out of food by then. I chose a nice outdoor grill and had a Swahili pizza (ground beef and egg wrapped in chapati and fried--in Arusha they call them Zanzibar pizzas) and discovered that they had Fanta citrus, which is my favorite flavor. I hadn't had any in ages, so I drained three sodas with my meal and struggled to push away the stray cat who wanted to share my meal.

I headed back to my room and climbed into bed. I was on the bus by 6:30, and I was glad I had a window seat, but I was in the very back row which I knew was going to make for a very long ride. I read for most of the journey, and during the stretch from Voi to Taveta, I felt every single bump and nearly knocked my head against the ceiling a few times. Otherwise, the journey was pretty uneventful and I was happy to be heading home.

Sadly, during our photo exchange over the weekend, I didn't end up getting the pictures of our team, so I'll have to put them up in a separate post.

No comments: