Pages

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Introduction

First off, I want to announce that I will not use this to wander off on any of my diatribes; in fact, I will try to leave my opinions on politics out (although I hope that if you are eligible, you will register to vote before October 7).  I have no idea how often I will be able to post, but I intend to use this to keep everyone updated on my adventures.  I'm also sad that my posts will be only in English, which I know will make it more difficult for some of my friends to know what I am doing.

I have my Peace Corps assignment, and I should be heading to Kenya on 13 November.  My assignment is teaching secondary level math.  The plan is to be in the classroom from 9 January, 2009 to 9 January, 2011.  I won't know where in Kenya until I'm there, so stay tuned for a later post about my site.  All of this is subject to change, and I will be sure to update if it does.  I don't have any kind of plan for 10 January, 2011 onward, but I have the next 27 months to figure that out.

In the meantime, I have a lot to take care of.   This will be quite a transition, so I need to make sure that I'm ready (especially learning some Kiswahili).  Once I'm there, I hope that I will be able to continue my work on some of my projects from recent years.  In particular, I hope that I will be able to stay involved with the International Development Design Summit.  If possible, I would like to introduce corn cob charcoal, peanut shellers, corn shellers, Spirulina, and lots of other projects that I have learned about and been lucky enough to participate in during my time at MIT.

Finally, for those of you who don't know the meaning of the title, it stands for "catch you on the flip side".  I know that it will be a while before I see many of my friends and family again, but I will be sure to keep everyone close to me.

11 comments:

Bev said...

Dan
Thanks for letting me know of your plans. I will be sure to follow your blog and keep in touch. I am glad you have a start time and a possible destination...Kenya. How exciting!
Do be careful and take care of yourself.
Will await further info,
Bev

Unknown said...

Good luck, Dan!

When I read 27 months, I thought, "is that a typo? should it be 2 [point] 7 months?"

And then I understood why you were sure that you'll come back fluent in Kiswahili.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll have loads of fun since this opportunity combines so many aspects of what you've done.

Keep us posted!

-Jeff X.

Yasho said...

daniel, i admire your dedication and enthusiasm. wish you the best. i'll be a follower of your blog. in fact i just added it to my bookmarks. i have a friend from the kikiyu tribe. apparently it's the biggest tribe in kenya. "kikiyu" - i just love that name. swahili is gonna be awesome.

Yasho said...

it's yasemin gokce from FUP, btw :)

Matthew Terebessy said...

Are you aware that there is no White Castle in Kenya? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?! Seriously though, it's amazing that you're doing this and I wish you all the best.

Annie said...

Dear Sir Ocelot
It scares me that you're going so far away. But you'd better have a shit ton of adventures. And be the usual awesome you.

That is all.

Unknown said...

be glad there is no white castle in kenya. that shit will play with your stomach like a whore plays with some balls.

holler at that kenya. and remember, blondie will also give you her noodles.

Claire V said...

Hey, thanks for including me... blogging is a much better idea than mass e-mails by the way. I need to learn about technology :)
Hopefully there will be time to see you before you go. Know of any weekends when you'll have time?

Anonymous said...

that is awesome and you are making me rethink my future plans and also good luck
alan b

Amanda said...

i already wrote you an email, but whatever. double the yay factor.

yay for having plans until 10 January, 2011! i'm going to miss you so much! what am i saying - i already miss you =P

- panda

Unknown said...

Hey, have fun and don't get mauled by wild animals. Since you're going to be there for 27 months, I'm sure you can come back and win the Boston Marathon easily. Take care of yourself and know that you're a good guy.

- Intae