Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Le plus ça change...

My school started a new policy this term where they were not going to cane students. You'll have to forgive me for scoffing when I heard this. I was impressed that the policy lasted an entire week. Then, yesterday one of the teachers felt that it needed to be reinstated
over a serious infraction. Two of the students had lost the button on their trousers. Sadly, three solid whacks didn't make the button appear. I'm impressed that the teachers lasted a week, although it's possible (probable) that there were some beatings that I missed while I was in class.

...le plus qu'ils restent.

1 comment:

Jesse said...

I stumbled on your post via the PCKenya Twitter. 3 years ago, I was in Kenya as a missionary. I taught in a school in Northern/Turkana Province where caning was the norm. I asked that my students be disciplined only by me or the Headmaster, and as such, most of my students were not beaten, but most of the day, I would see the teachers beating the hell out of some kid with a switch for seemingly minor infractions.