Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Books 9.0

**** Life of Pi by Yann Martel. This was a really fun read. I nearly put it down too early, and I'm glad I finished the whole story. I would definitely recommend this book, although I think it is easier to read if you go through it in a short time.

** Teach Yourself Swahili. I decided to brush up my Kiswahili a bit. This was not a very good book for that. The structure was pretty awkward and they chose to emphasize strange bits. I really like Peter M. Wilson's Simplified Swahili. Anyone who prefers a solid grammatical foundation should opt for Wilson. I loaned my copy out 5 months ago and I really hope that I get it back soon...

As an aside, one of my neighbors was reading a book by Mario Puzo (author of The Godfather) called The Fourth K. I picked it up and glanced through the first few pages, but I had to put it down when they introduced the plot device where some MIT physics professors had stolen material to make an atomic bomb. I was not a fan.

1 comment:

Thuy said...

Have you read any of Dai Sijie's work? He is a Chinese-French author. I think you would enjoy both of his works that have been translated to English. Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress and Mr. Muo's Traveling Couch. The former is a lovely though melancholy story and the latter is kind of wacky, kind of like you. =)