Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Jackie in Mwakitau

We hopped on a bus Sunday morning. Just before our bus left, my friend Will (recently left Peace Corps and is now back in Kenya working in Mombasa and free to travel at night or ride on motorcycles to do his work) ran up to us to say hi before running to catch a different bus. our bus didn't have good movies :(, so I slept a bit on the way to Voi. Jackie and I grabbed some food in Voi on our way back to my site.

Jackie and I had a lot to catch up on. I made some Kool-Aid (Jackie brought me lots and lots of Kool-Aid packets, which should serve to give me a pretty serious addiction). We found ourselves talking shop pretty much the entire time. She came to school with me the next two days. She was a big hit with the students. They asked about her dreds. They asked her about being a female engineer. They asked us if we were a couple (at which point, Jackie made advances on me). They asked about everything. Jackie seemed to enjoy how forward they were (especially my third years) and I think they made a pretty good impression on her.

Jackie was my 4th visitor in a week and a half, which was pretty fun. I don't think that I'll have visitors again for a little while. Still, the offer is on the table that if people come to visit me, I will cook authentic African food. Just probably not local Kenyan food. I kinda botched the Ghanaian peanut soup when Jackie was here, but it turned out well last week when Emily was over. Since Jackie was here two nights I had to figure out a second food that I can cook. I managed to make chana masala (Indian chickpea dish), which turned out pretty well. I hope no one ever visits me for three nights, since I'll probably run out of things that I can cook.

This morning, Jackie is heading off to Arusha in Tanzania for the next leg of her volunteering project. You can read all about her adventures on her blog (here and here) as well as her perceptions of my village. I will definitely have to visit her down there at some point.

1 comment:

Thuy said...

lol. You should work on that cooking thing. Pete and I were going to visit for a substantial period. He'll expect pancakes.