Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Tanzanian Election

There's an election in Tanzania next month. A friend assured me that there are four main political parties in Tanzania. However, driving down the street, one could be forgiven for assuming that this is a one party state. All the posters say "Chagua Kikwete, Chagua CCM" meaning "Choose Kikwete (the current president), Choose CCM (the main party)". The other mode of advertising is to have pickups drive up and down the busy streets with a man holding a bullhorn shouting slogans and blaring music. I've given up on glancing up when I hear the cacophony, it's always either CCM or the newest advertisement for "the lowest ever rates on your mobile phone!" However, today while I was in town there were a bunch of cars blocking both lanes advertising Chadema, another party. Still, all the Tanzanians who I've talked to have no doubts about the outcome of the election.

No comments: