Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

Where I live aka Symphony in orange

Sorry, I know this post is long overdue seeing as we've lived in our current house for over 5 months, but better late than never, right?


When I titled this picture Our House, I had the song by Madness stuck in my head for the rest of the day.


And this is what I see when I look out the front door.

Well, we finally live in a house with a gate and we also have a beautiful view of Mt. Meru, some days complete with majestic clouds above. We have a garden, though we have yet to plant anything. We have been burying our compost, however to increase soil fertility. Our house has 2 1000 liter water tanks that fill whenever there is water.


This is what our house looks like to our neighbors. The vacant lot next to us is pretty lush.


This is the view outside of our gate looking to the left


And the view to the right

The house has four bedrooms and three bathrooms (the master bathroom is the size of my bedroom at the old house) as well as a spacious kitchen (my concept of spaciousness has probably changed a bit during my time here) with lots of cabinets. We have a furnished living room and we've had 20 people in there without feeling cramped and one or two people in there without feeling like it's too sparse. We have a computer with a large monitor in there that we sometimes use to watch movies. We also have an attached garage which we converted to a workshop for the company, so our house is actually buzzing most of the day.

My room is pretty empty, but I like it better that way. I have a mattress on the floor and a basket for my laundry (and typically assorted belongings strewn about on the floor). Other than that, I just have my fan, which I use every night since it gets pretty hot. I did have a bed (sorta) at the start, but it just got to be such a nuisance to sweep under there that I decided it was easier this way.

Our house is about a kilometer away from Masai Camp (one of the more popular clubs in Arusha), so on Friday and Saturday nights, we can hear the music going well into dawn whether or not we head to the club. We also don't have a lot of lights in the area, so we can see stars incredibly clearly. We're the only non-Tanzanian house in the area and most of our neighbors are very friendly to us.

Our lease goes until October and then we'll decide if we want to stick around. We're all pretty comfortable and have a good dynamic, so if possible, I think we'll try to avoid moving again.


We have a garage. We kept a motorcycle in there for a while, but never any cars. But in general, it's company space.


The back of our house isn't so pretty, but it's handy to have the huge clotheslines


Why our neighborhood is called "Banana"

I'll work on getting some pictures of the inside of our house at some point.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

is your room anything like your room when i saw it? =P

Daniel said...

if by that you mean "clean and well-organized" then i would have to say no, not really. i mean, it's definitely not a giant mass of entropy, but at the end of the day, my clothes seem to end up on the floor.

however, if by that you mean "covered in awesome decorations" then i would definitely say yes, yes it is.

nantucketer10 said...

Hey, I've been here!

And I don't know what happened but your room was pretty clean when I left there :-)