Pages

Monday, November 9, 2009

Drugs and flame-throwers

This morning, I was sitting in my office grading exams (only a month overdue on that). I kinda zone out while I do that, so I didn't notice that several of my third year boys were summoned to the office. I subsequently didn't notice that several of my third year boys were sent to the village cell (as close as we have to a prison) for drug use (marijuana). All in all, one-third of my students were sent away for the day. There was no drug bust or anything. I'm not really surprised by this, but I'm pretty sure that the confessions were extracted "under duress" (read: savage beating. The other reason that I avoid the office sometimes). I don't know what happens to them next. I hope they'll be back soon. Otherwise, we're gonna lose a lot of really good students. I had even planned a lesson for later this week on the hazards of drug use.

Also, in the afternoon I was showing my students how to prepare ethene (yes, that is part of the syllabus, I'll probably have a syllabus-tirade post up here soon). After demonstrating the test for ethene (it turns bromine water from orange to colorless) I had a bunch of extra ethene coming out of a flask. So I did the only logical thing that I could think to do with a large supply of gaseous fuel. I showed my students how to make a flame thrower. I was kinda disappointed in myself actually. If I were a cool teacher, I would have showed them how to make a green flame thrower. Maybe later in the week...

No comments: