Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Why I left

Well, it's been just over a month since I left Peace Corps.  I've thought a lot about everything and today I finally decided to write down the reasons (though perhaps not an exhaustive list) why I left Peace Corps.  I also sent this (with minor alterations) to the Country Director.

* I felt too constrained by many of Peace Corps's rules and regulations.  I knew that there were circumstances where, given the travel options, it made more sense for me to travel at night, to ride a motorcycle or to hitchhike.  I knew that I could accomplish more without losing work by missing occasional school days to work on other projects.  I came to Kenya hoping to live as much like a Kenyan as possible, but there were many occurrences where Peace Corps rules prevented that.
* I felt woefully under-prepared for many of the tasks that I faced at site.  My group's language training was nothing short of abominable (it was nothing short of comical when I was told during my departure that I was supposed to write that I had had 105 hours of language training--I barely felt comfortable rounding the number up to 50).  I did not know what were reasonable tasks for me to undertake when I arrived at site, so I wound up teaching agriculture (they insisted that I choose agriculture, biology or Christian Religious Education, none of which I had ever properly studied) while resisting requests like coaching volleyball.  Our technical trainer informed us of what volunteers were supposed to do based on his interaction with one Peace Corps volunteer who had taught at his school, and our APCD never followed up to find out what messages we were receiving or correcting them.
* I never had a good understanding of what was expected from me.  My school's headmaster died before I ever met him.  After we completed all of the funeral tasks, I learned that none of my colleagues at the school had ever spoken with anyone from Peace Corps.  There was no subsequent communication between my school and Peace Corps (with the exception of a brief interview of my newly installed headmaster by my APCD during his site visit).  So I was left to figure out why I was matched to my school.  I never found a satisfactory explanation.
* Caning students tore me apart inside.  I had to witness savage beatings on a regular basis.  The only thing I could do was explain to students why I never caned them and hope that I could convince them not to carry this practice on to the next generation.  All of my attempts to engage my colleagues in dialogue proved futile.  (I tried to put on a tough face in my blog posts, but every single post about those beatings was agony to write).
* I came into Peace Corps with vastly different expectations from what I found on arrival.  I was hoping to have time for secondary projects and defining my role within my school.  I even tried to explain this to my APCD during the interview we had during training.  There was never any indication that this was an unreasonable expectation.  When I arrived at my site, they told me that they needed someone who could be in the classroom as much as possible.  Over time, I was able to craft a productive role for myself at the school, but it took much more trial and error than would have been necessary with a more focused training.  Working on secondary projects was always an uphill battle, seemingly against Peace Corps.
* I found a lot of Peace Corps projects to be futile projects.  Perhaps futile is too strong here, but they did not seem to be more than short-term solutions to deep problems.  In the case of the science education program, there is currently a surplus of science teachers in Kenya, while there are shortages for other areas of teaching.  There are certainly long-term benefits for the students at schools with Peace Corps volunteers, but having science teachers does not seem to meet a pressing need in Kenya.  If the purpose of the program is to improve teaching methods in the schools, then it seems like the program would be more effective if it also worked with teacher training colleges in Kenya.  Furthermore, of the nine science teachers who were sworn in after training, there was only one with an education degree, while the other eight held science degrees.
* I felt unappreciated by Peace Corps.  I didn't join Peace Corps to be appreciated, but the attitude really bothered me.  When my APCD was interviewing me during my site visit, I listed all the things that I was working on (a pretty substantial list, but I had already sent him the same information in my monthly reports).  He then asked me if I was doing anything with sports; I told him that I wasn't, and he reminded me that the former volunteer at my site used to coach volleyball before continuing the interview.  Also, during one of the interview I had with the current Country Director, he told me that volunteers who have time to sit around and complain are typically the ones who don't do much work.  As he had noted that I had raised a lot of complaints, I took this as a criticism of my work.  Perhaps I misinterpreted it, but I was pretty offended after all the blood, sweat and tears that I had put into my school and projects.
* I had negative working relationships with some of the staff members.  I found my APCD unsupportive and unresponsive (and at times demoralizing).  I approached the Administrative Officer (then Acting Country Director) to find out what my alternatives were.  Her response was condescending and unhelpful (as well as making some incorrect assumptions) and left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.  She also decided as I was leaving Peace Corps that I didn't need an exit interview--seems that I actually had a lot to say (I should have disabused her of that notion, but I was already hesitant to meet with her).  Our former Programming/Training Officer (PTO) and former Country Director barely interacted with my training group during our training and then at the very end, they proceeded to place the blame squarely on us for our inadequate language and technical training.  I tried to engage them about the four volunteers that they were sending home based in part on recommendations from staff members that they did not rehire and a language training scheme that clearly failed.  First the PTO responded in a rude, dismissive and unprofessional manner (I will admit that I was overjoyed when I learned she was transferring out of Kenya).  Unfortunately, this experience led me to approach the Country Director in a confrontational mood.  I deeply regretted the exchange, but that too tarnished my relationships.  (I will also say that I had very positive relationships with other staff members including other APCDs in the program, the training staff, medical staff and PEPFAR coordinator).
* I was really bothered by the radar.  Certain volunteers were periodically (often unbeknownst to them) "on the radar".  It was not Orwellian, rather it brought to mind the absurdity of "double-secret probation" from the movie Animal House.  Most times, volunteers wanted to stay "off the radar", meaning that they wanted to avoid contact with Peace Corps administration.  The radar highlighted the dysfunctionality of the relationship between Peace Corps administration and volunteers.
* I disliked being part of a conservative and opaque organization.  Some rules were justified only with "because Peace Corps Washington says so."  There was minimal effort to engage volunteers in constructive dialogue about ways to improve the program.
* I was unhappy.  I tried to wait for the dark clouds to pass, but they never seemed to.  I could feel bitterness seeping into my character, which seriously disturbed me.  A lot of this arose from challenges that I faced at site and even still seem somehow surreal to me.  But there was also a frustration with the workings of Peace Corps that I have described above.  Therefore, rather than let my misery consume me, I decided to do something about it.

All of this is not to say that I don't believe in what Peace Corps sets out to do.  I have heard about remarkable successes of other programs around the world.  This is only to explain the issues that I had with my specific program and country that led to my decision to leave.

ADDENDUM: (written 7 Feb 2009 @ 12:42 AM blog time)
I would like to state that the training program in Peace Corps Kenya has improved exponentially since my group's experiences. Although there is still room for improvement, they have undertaken an improved language program and sought out better technical trainers (I have not visited training, only heard second hand from other volunteers, so I cannot comment on levels of staff support or oversight of training).

11 comments:

Mrs. Art Teacher said...

wow your last few paragraphs summed up how I feel teaching in the States...especially with a district wide strike pending. So what is your new job and how did you end up getting it?
Suzanne

tano said...

105 hours of language training is pretty amusing. In Will's letter it says 120. So I suppose 105 is an improvement. After I read Will's letter I got all pissed off and did an accounting. I came up with 37, which I think is an overestimation. Peace Corps did not pull 105 hours out of a hat, presumably it's the number that is on an official report to headquarters. When I talked to DC last year no one ever asked how many hours we actually got, and I didn't think that the reported value would be such a fantasy. Made me angry with myself for not pressing them on the issue. Anyhow here is my accounting, if you or any of the other math/sci folks can refine it, let me know:

First, determine number of *possible* days of language instruction:
(a) First day of instruction, Nov 15
(b) Last day, Dec 24
(c) Instruction on first Saturday and Sunday, never again on Saturday or Sunday

=> 30 *possible* days of instruction

Days with zero hours:
(a) Hub days - 4
(b) Thanksgiving
(c) Mock LPI day
(d) Jhamhuri day
(e) World Aids day
(f) Day 2 of 2 day visit with science educators from Nairobi

=> 9 days @ zero hours

Days with 1 hour:
(a) Model school teaching days - 7 (model school spanned 10 days but 3 of those were zero hour days)
(b) Day 1 of 2 day visit with science educators from Nairobi

=> 8 days @ 1 hour

I have 13 days unaccounted for. At most we received 3 hours of instruction in a single day. By my estimation that occurred ~6 times. Typical was more like 1-2 hours.

=> 6 days @ 3 hours
=> 7 days @ 1.5 hours

Add it all up: 36.5

MikesTrips said...

The depth and breath of your "complaints" would tell anyone who knows you well that PC came up way short in providing you with the training and support necessary to function. It is a sad commentary on who is chosen to lead administratively. I have read everything you have written, as well as written amount you at MIT that I could find online. I do not take you to be a complainer. PC should invite a blue ribbon panel of RPCVs to conduct joint and several interviews with you and a number of others to get to the bottom of what incites a high achiever to feel demoralized and unappreciated (I use that word as you used it). This is a great loss to Kenya and everyone involved.

Catherine said...

thank you so much for writing such a detailed and insightful post about your ET. I came across your blog from PeaceCorpsJournals.com. Can you talk more about what it means to be "on the radar?" Thanks!

Daniel said...

Hi Catherine!

I couldn't figure out any other way to communicate with you, so I hope you find your way back to this comments page.

"On the radar" is a term used by country staff (and volunteers) to refer to volunteers who are being watched closely. Usually it is on the grounds that they are the most likely to break rules or there are other concerns about their service. Honestly, I'm not certain what is different for volunteers who are on the radar. Peace Corps certainly reads volunteer blogs (though they rarely engage volunteers about the content) at all times and follows other public communiques (Twitter, public Facebook pages and so on). I don't think that Peace Corps contacts supervisors or members of the community (this is only based on my personal experience, since I know that I spent some time on the radar and Peace Corps never communicated with staff at my school at any time), so I am not certain how much they can truly learn. I always assumed that it meant that volunteers were less trusted to use their discretion (there were instances where Peace Corps staff were kind enough to turn a blind eye). Mostly though, it seemed like an intimidation tactic, designed to instill obedience through fear.

For example, the Country Director told me at one point that certain volunteers from Coast province were on his radar based on things that they had posted on blogs or publicly on Facebook. I certainly sympathized with him for wanting to keep a close eye on volunteers who were writing about drunken exploits or other incidents that are only embarrassing to themselves and to Peace Corps. However, it bothered me that he did not seem interested in communicating with volunteers directly when issues arose, but rather preferred to wait to be approached.

These are my perceptions alone. They may be wildly incorrect, but I think it is in line with how most volunteers perceive it, regardless of what the reality is.

Hope this helps-
Daniel

Catherine said...

Hey Daniel!

Yes, that was all very informative. The radar sounds absolutely ridiculous and doesn't even make much sense. I appreciate your perspective, since I'm a PC nominee and currently working on the medical clearance (which is why I haven't even started a public blog yet - I don't want to get my hopes up!). I think it's helpful to be aware of what I could be getting into.

Catherine

Science Teacher said...

Are you serious? Poor baby! No time for secondary projects, rude staff, expectations not met, CD didn't spend time with trainees, unappreciated, HCN wanted you to coach volleyball... oh boo boo hoo hoo... poor unappreciated brat-life has challenges you failed. How much langauge do you learn in a classroom vs, with the community? All the time in the world in the classroom cannot equal the time you spend at your site, langauge learning is an on going process, gow up! You didn't deserve the opportunity Peace Corps and the people of Kenya gave you.

Daniel said...

I wish that the comment from Science Teacher had expressed comments in a more constructive manner, but I will do my best to address them anyway.

First and foremost, I want to take a piece of advice from my friend Will who reminded me that leaving Peace Corps early does not make you a bad person. There is no reason whatsoever for anyone to suggest otherwise.

Sadly, some of the examples that I listed are perhaps not the best cases for the points that I was trying to make, just the easiest ones to express quickly. When I was talking about my APCD bringing up the previous volunteer coaching volleyball, I didn't mention the tone of the comment, which seemed to be saying that I wasn't doing enough (I was already teaching more classes than any other volunteer in my training group and taking on administrative responsibilities in the school). Furthermore, that was not the low point of the day. There were actually three parts that were even lower that I didn't feel like chronicling in detail. As for the language training, I agree with you that the bulk of that comes at site anyway. Thanks to my wonderful community, I actually developed very strong kiswahili. The underlying issue was how the language training was handled. After they saw the results, the administrative staff immediately placed the blame on the trainees. There was no discussion about what went wrong (the closest thing came when a volunteer wrote an insightful email to the country director a month later and expressed what many of us were feeling). All we received was a hastily drafted contract where we had to take responsibility for not reaching the specified level (19 out of 36 trainees were in this category) and we were told that we would be sent home in April if we did not meet this level (we weren't even clear on what this level would sound like) by then (in case we didn't have enough stresses as we headed off to site). One trainee was sent home for refusing to sign the contract. Furthermore, I agree that it is generally not necessary for the country director to have a huge presence at training. However, in our case, he spent much of his introduction touting his innovative (experimental) training program. The program wasn't evaluated for the first three-fourths of the training, and the country director only made one appearance (there may have been a second, but I am fairly certain it was only one). This seemed slightly negligent to us. However, I want to once again emphasize that the training has vastly improved since my group's experiences. Moreover, when the country director does not spend time with the trainees, it seems difficult to learn about them and be able to form solid judgments. Yet, the country director sent home trainees right before the end of training without finding out if they had any defense for their supposed failings. This seemed irresponsible to me and warned of some of the later dysfunctionality in the organization that I encountered. I also want to re-emphasize that this country director is no longer part of Peace Corps Kenya.

As to your comments about my inability to handle the challenges that I faced at site, I don't appreciate your jumping to those conclusions. I stayed with the challenges that I faced for a full year at site. After leaving site, I moved into a new position where I face challenges that are very different, but certainly no easier than what I faced in Peace Corps. One of our staff was fond of quoting RFK, including (paraphrased because I cannot remember the exact quotation): there are some people who see what is there and ask why; others see what is not there and ask why not. I like to consider myself the latter type and as such, I saw a lot of things that seemed to be missing from Peace Corps Kenya. After I found that I would not be able to change anything (I made several overtures), I decided that I did not want to be part of an organization that was so slow to change where it was needed.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Daniel said...

Now then, Science Teacher, I hope that that helps clear some things up, even if it doesn't change your opinions. However, you also raise the point that I "didn't deserve the opportunity Peace Corps and the people of Kenya gave" me. In the interests of being constructive, it sounds to me like you are saying that there are flaws in Peace Corps's recruitment process to allow someone like me to make it into the program. What changes would you make to the recruitment or other parts of the program to ensure that all Peace Corps volunteers are deserving of the opportunity that they have received?

In the future, I don't intend to dignify such brashness with a response. I hope that people will be mature and thoughtful in their comments.

Jeffrey said...

Even 105 hours is a complete joke! In Kazakhstan, we underwent around 250 hours (4.5 hours/day x 6 days/week x 11 weeks - hub days, etc.) Granted, Russian is one of the hardest languages in the world and it took me two years of tutoring/immersion to get to a fluent level. Language is key to integration - I hope PC will understand this and become more diligent in its training.

Daniel said...

You make a good point, Jeffrey. Language is especially important to integration, but Kenya is an interesting situation because some parts of the country Kiswahili is spoken widely, while other regions Kiswahili is used much more sparingly in favor of English or a tribal language. In most of Kenya, you can get by with English and some basic Swahili, but you need to do more than get by for proper community integration.

They have adjusted the training program so that volunteers in certain regions receive language training in the local tribal language, while others receive more advanced Kiswahili lessons. Still, even that strategy has been fraught with challenges.

They reminded us several times during the training that the budget had recently been cut, which is why they had shortened the training significantly, however, even talking to some of the volunteers who had been in the country before my group, it was clear that they had turned a blind eye to some volunteers who could barely muster a basic understanding of Kiswahili. It was also unfortunate that the deaf education group did not learn any Kiswahili during training, and rather focused all their efforts on Kenyan Sign Language. It was good that they received such an intensive curriculum in that language, since it was imperative for their work, but it would have certainly helped them to have more than a single short lesson in Kiswahili.