Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

2 weeks + Never leave home without it

It is two more weeks until my flight. Actually, slightly less, but this time I'm a few minutes late, rather than a few days late. Anyway, I've always believed that the Boy Scouts were right when they said "Be prepared", so in that vein, I've prepared a list of supplies that I usually have on me when I leave the house. They nearly always prove invaluable:

1. My phone: not many people call me, but I think I prefer it that way. Instead, my phone is important because it is a constant way to check email or update the company's twitter feed, or to read the news online or pull up some quick information from the web (assuming that I'm within range of a phone tower with data capabilities, which isn't always a safe assumption while on a bus). Also, I can use it to send money or withdraw cash. Yeah, it's hard for me to be apart from my phone for any length of time.

2. A book: in the course of a day, I often spend a healthy amount of time waiting for vehicles or in a waiting room or just with my head swimming over the course of the day. Books are a great way to pass the time and they attract a lot less attention than pulling out my phone. Also, when I finish a book, I can usually trade it with someone for another book. Sometimes, the trick is to have a book that's long enough. Next big road trip, I'm bringing my 900-page biography of Nikita Khrushchev.

3. USB stick: many times, I don't meet anyone who has a computer, but when I do, it's good to be ready. Sometimes I'm transferring instructions on how to make charcoal out of corn cobs or a video of our maize sheller in action. Other times, I'm grabbing pictures from people who have documented our work (I still don't have a working camera). It's really handy (though incredibly virus-prone) and a good way to carry around lots of information.

4. Pictures of family: a lot of people like to ask questions about my family and life in the states. They are always excited when I can produce pictures of my family from my wallet. When I show the pictures of my sisters, I've gotten lots of offers to marry them. I would accept the proposals, but I feel like I would be ripping off these suitors with the number of goats they offer. Just kidding, sisters.

5. Pen and paper: it seems like common-sense, but you never know when you'll come across someone who makes a really remarkable suggestion. Since complete strangers will strike up a conversation about just about anything wherever you are, it just might be handy to take some notes.

6. Adinkra: most people have some personal memento that they can keep with them at all times that helps them when they face challenges. Mine is a small peace of metal cut into a west african symbol that means "help me and let me help you." It helps to keep me focused on many of the things that I'm trying to do here. Also, the symbol is part of the logo for IDDS and carries a lot of sentimental value for me (especially the bite taken out of the side, where a good friend was still learning how to sandblast these keychain ornaments).

7. Awareness: yep, I had to go abstract on one of these. There are a lot of things to be aware of. I try to look for who is scoping me out to decide if it's worthwhile to rob me. I look for people who might give me unwanted attention. But I also look for people who might be interesting to talk to and who could become my new friend. And, you have to make sure that you're aware of the scenery, because most of the time it's absolutely gorgeous.

8. Comfortable shoes: I never know for sure if my five minute trip to the shop will actually be only five minutes. Sometimes, it turns into an all-out quest/adventure. And when that happens, the most important thing is to be able to walk for a while without getting sore.

9. Toilet paper: it's just one of the realities of being here. At any given moment, your stomach may revolt and you might need to sprint for the toilet, and you do want to be prepared when that happens.

10. Flashlight: you never know when you'll find yourself walking down an unlit path on a moonless night or when the power will cut out while you're visiting a friend or when I will drop my keys into a sea of feet as I ride on the buses. Fortunately, one of the most common phone models comes equipped with a flashlight. Nokia is pretty genius that way.

Obviously, there's the boring stuff too, like wallet, money, keys (keychain is crucial to transport my adinkra and USB stick). Some people will tell you that a leatherman or some other multi-tool is essential, but I've found that a lot of the time, I can find some sort of implement to take its place (e.g. a carpenter's nail can be just as useful as a knife for some tasks and can always be found lying on the ground; besides, I've always wondered what tetanus is like).

1 comment:

Mikaella said...

i always travel with tape!!