Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Just another Thursday

The morning did not start off well.

I was a bit slow getting out of bed. Then when I got outside, there was a dead dog lying next to my house. Poor guy, I'm not really sure what happened to him. The trail of blood out of his eye hinted that it probably wasn't a peaceful death either.

Then, when we were driving into work, the car stalled out and wouldn't restart. After several attempts, I decided to look under the hood. I was pretty sure I knew the problem. There was fuel in the something-or-another (I don't know my way around under the hood of a car very well, but this is a recurring problem, so I'm pretty familiar with it) which was preventing the car from starting. The remedy is to remove one of the hoses and use it as a straw to draw out the gas. The Tanzanians seem to have no problem with this at all. I managed to spit every drop out (I think), but I still felt nauseous for the rest of the morning.

Later on, I went to a store in town where I met an incredibly rude manager who seemed more interested in exerting his authority than running a business.

Oh well, after that the day definitely picked up. I got to ride the bike all over town. And I had some productive meetings. And some of the neighborhood kids came over to play with me (which is much nicer than play on me). It's going to be a long night, but that's a good thing, I am tying up some loose ends at work (that'll take a weight off my mind) and I have a 1:30 AM meeting, but this should be my last one of those for a looooong time.

No comments: