Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

Nasty Infection (Day 2)

Well, it wasn't a terribly restful night. I was running to the toilet less often, but still much more than I would have liked. The power was out and my phone battery was dead, so I was seriously hoping that I wouldn't take a turn for the worse. At some unspecified time, I realized that I was low on water, and found the nearby bar closing up for the night. I bought two bottles of water, as the bartender gave me a funny look standing there in my pajamas.

Later on, I woke up and noticed that there was light outside. It took me a minute to realize that it wasn't the sunrise, but rather the return of electricity (and by extension, the internet since I was still at the house near the office). I pulled out my computer and tried to make a dent in my huge email inbox (and put up all the posts I had written without internet). I hadn't been on proper internet since Saturday, so the dent in my inbox was barely noticeable.

I discovered that my legs no longer felt disproportionately weak (they still felt weak, but that was because my whole body was lacking strength) and that the worst of the dehydration had passed. I rewarded myself with a ginger ale as my comfort "food". I wanted to take my medication, but I needed to have actual food in my stomach to do that. I didn't want to put any food in my stomach because I still felt lousy. And I wasn't going to stop feeling lousy until I took the medicine. It was a rather vicious cycle, but finally I forced down a banana and half an orange and took my medicine.

The medicine definitely cut down the pain in my stomach and the frequency of running to the bathroom, but it also made me pretty light-headed. Shortly after that, I needed to walk to a nearby store to send some money to my co-workers. My first attempt resulted in me discovering that I had gone to the store without the money and making my way back to the office to grab the cash. The second time, I discovered that I couldn't remember my own phone number (I usually have a particularly good memory for phone numbers) and I couldn't even bring myself to watch the cashier count the money to make sure I didn't give him too much. After that, I just climbed back into bed to rest.

I tried to move around a few more times in the afternoon, but every time the light-headedness overwhelmed me pretty quickly. Still, considering that most of the other symptoms had gone away, I was pretty relieved. The electricity went out again, so once they closed the office, I had my solitude. In the evening, I went out for some more water (and another ginger ale) and picked up a can of tuna fish. I drained the water and ate the tuna plain. I was excited to have my first protein in 48 hours. Then I read The Economist on my phone until I fell asleep.

No comments: