Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Pick-up Frisbee

Thursday is now Frisbee Day here in Arusha. It's the only day of the week when I leave the office at 5. I head into town to the field where we play ultimate frisbee. About 2/3 of the players are ex-pats and tourists, but we've gotten a few Tanzanians who are now regulars. Most of the Tanzanians had never thrown a frisbee 5 weeks ago, but had quite a speed advantage. Now, after five matches, they still have quite a speed advantage and they can throw the frisbee pretty well.

It's one of my favorite parts of the week. Frisbee has been my number one sport since high school (we used to play in parking lots when we couldn't find a field). I was a bit out of practice my first week, but since then I've found my throws (though perhaps not my judgment since I still take the ambitious throw over the safe throw nine times out of ten). However, I tend to be one of the slower people on the field, so maybe I should work on that. I like to do my stall-counts alternating English and Kiswahili "One! Mbili! Three! Nne! ..."

I've only been going for three weeks (the weather has been mostly cooperative so far ::knock on wood:: ), but it's been a good chance for me to make friends outside of work. The sun sets after a little over an hour and then we usually go out and grab a quick drink afterward and hang out for a bit before I head back to the office for my weekly IDDS meeting.

If you ever want to join us, we play on the field next to the Sikh Temple near Friends' Corner :)

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Hi!

I played ultimate at University of Maryland and love to hear that the sport is spreading around the world. I can't wait to bring it to Nicaragua!

Lauren

Daniel said...

Good luck, Lauren! If there are more people like you out there, maybe they'll start an Ultimate World Cup in 2015!

Kaswa Peter Bryan said...

Hey Lauren, hope all is good, I am Bryan from Uganda Ultimate, am in charge of Organising a tournament in Kampala, would like to invite team Arusha to partipate in this tournament but i dont have their contacts though I played with them in Mombasa and the seemed to be promising. Can you help send this to those guys?
INVITATION

7even Hills Ultimate Classic Tournament (7HUC)

6-7th August 2011, Kampala, Uganda



The Uganda Ultimate Frisbee Association (UUFA) cordially invites you to our annul international tournament taking place on 6/7th August 2011 in Kampala at the International School of Uganda (ISU) playing fields in Lubowa.

We are expecting teams from the entire East African region and participants from all over the world to take part in this colour full and challenging event. This is the 4th year that 7HUC is running, and we look forward to your participation.

Each team is to have a minimum of 12 people and a maximum of 15 people on a team. Team registration fee is $ 104 for the first 12 people and $ 12.5 each for the extra three people. Payment should be made by 22nd July 2011.

Lunch and water are included in the fee, but not transportation and accommodation. We will work with you to support transport and accommodation arrangement in Kampala.

As usual there we shall have a party at the end of the first day in one of Kampala’s happening spots. Please confirm you participation to Bryan at kaswapb@gmail.com or +256 782 087 330.

Description: Description: C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-613904103-2002265662-617630493-119330298\$RSE460C.jpg

Thanks,

Bryan Kaswa

Tournament Director

7HUC 2011

Greetings to Simeone