Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cruelty

There are three young puppies right outside our office. Sometimes they come over and we pet them. They're probably about three weeks old at this point and really sweet.

One of them has already acquired a limp. He can't put his back right foot on the ground. I'm not sure if he will ever be able to walk on that foot. He was fine during his first week. Then one morning, I saw that he was limping. My suspicion is that one of the small kids who thought it would be fun to throw rocks at him actually hit him with one of them.

This morning was probably even worse. I heard the puppies yelping and wailing and went to the window to see what was going on. A teenager had picked them up by the tails and was just running around with them. I would've thought that their cries of agony would offer some indication to stop, but he was completely unperturbed. He got bored quickly and set them down.

In some ways, this is one of the hardest things for me to deal with here.

No comments: