Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Kitchen lessons

I learned a few lessons in my attempt to make banana bread. These
lessons are intended for those who, like me, suffer from a deficiency
of common sense.

1. If the recipe calls for eggs, it is probably best to find out if
there are eggs to be had anywhere in town before you mix any
ingredients.
2. Before you put a pan in the oven, it is best to remove any
stickers. You see, apparently, paper is flammable...
3. If the oven is going to trap steam, it is probably best to open the
oven in such a way that the steam won't fly up at you. As it turns
out, steam is very hot.

I also managed to trip over a tire and have the wind knocked out of
me. I'm not really sure where the lesson is in that one, though.

Still, you shouldn't pass judgment on my cooking skills based on this
evidence. The part of the banana bread that didn't burn was certainly
palatable. My recipe modifications were not a complete disaster. And I
followed up this episode with some successful guacamole (black pepper
and cilantro would have improved it, but it was not meant to be),
served on chapati with beans. Almost like a burrito. Now if only it
came with cheese...

4 comments:

Me said...

I think daftness points are in order for this post! Well done!
-Claire

Elizabeth Kneen said...

Oh, chapatti burritos =)

When did you get an oven?!?!?

Daniel said...

So, i should probably clarify what "oven" means. I took a medium sized pot and set another medium sized pot upside down on top. This provides space to put a small pot inside for baking. There is also a layer of sand between the small pot and the medium pot so they don't touch directly. This contraption is then set on my gas grill and a shirt is placed on top to retain heat. It works reasonably well. Peace corps definitely teaches useful skills sometimes.

Adrienne said...

2 daftness points from this judge