Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Pros and cons

This weekend was lots of fun. I got to see other volunteers and have
wandering discussions over a bottle of wine. The trip back to site on
Sunday was fraught with vehicle problems and delays, but no need to go
into those details here. More importantly, I decided to forget my keys
in Voi. I didn't want to impose on any of my neighbors, so I decided
to sleep at the school on Sunday night.

Here are the pros and cons of that decision:

Pros
- The school has a watchman, so it was like having my own security
guard while I slept.
- The lab has lots of locks, so I didn't have to worry at all while I slept.
- I did not sleep on a bed that is nearing collapse. My bed hasn't
collapsed since April, but I'm still not terribly confident.
- There were no roosters, donkeys or preachers to wake me before dawn.
- I didn't have to walk 3 km to school in the morning, so I set the
alarm for later.
- I keep a sweatshirt at school, so it started as my pillow and later
became a blanket of sorts.
- I had most of the essentials in my bag: malaria prophylaxis, cell
phone charger, pajamas, clean clothes, snack foods and a book.

Cons
- The watchman wasn't at the gate when I arrived, so I had to jump the
fence. Actually, sneaking into the school was pretty fun. Maybe this
one should be a pro.
- The watchman shone his light in my eyes a few times over the course
of the night.
- No place to wash up in the morning.
- If it is at all possible, people in my community think I am even weirder.
- My "bed" was a large lab table. My "blanket" was not warm enough.
- I had to be a bit stealthy in the morning so my students wouldn't
ask questions.

Hmmm, I'd say the pros outweigh the cons. Still, I got my keys back
last night, so I am back to staying at my house. Still, I am
considering reprising this sometime.

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

Two flourescent lightbulbs and a groundhog.

Elizabeth Kneen said...

Glad to hear you took my suggestion...even if it was forced ;)

Me said...

Flourescent lightbulbs could be either a pro or a con, depending on which way you look at it. -6 points