Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Books 6.1

Well, I recognize that this is neither a book, nor did I read the bulk
of it in June. Nevertheless, I feel that it deserves special
attention.

***** - The Economist's Special Report on Texas. The Economist
publishes a special report nearly every other week. Many of them are
highly technical and go way over my head. Sometimes the theme seems a
bit esoteric. I admit that I was a bit skeptical when I saw that the
theme was Texas. In reading the articles, however, I realized that
there is a lot that I don't know about the state. Rather than getting
bogged down in history, they tried to take a snapshot of the present
and consider implications for the future. As always, I didn't agree
with everything that they had written, but I think that they certainly
outline some interesting perspectives on demography, politics and
industry in the state. The anecdotes are nice too (did you know that
"Don't mess with Texas" was the slogan for an anti-litter campaign).
If you are interested, the magazine should be available at newsstands
until Friday, or it will be online at www.economist.com. You can click
on print edition or scroll down for special reports. I would also
recommend looking at their special report on waste management from
February.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Kneen said...

you should simply make a post of these are the three books/articles you should read and here's 1-5 sentences why...

Thuy said...

I had very much the same reaction: man, there's so much I didn't know about Texas. Although the comparison to CA was, uh, uneasy, not because I'm a CA fanatic but because it's really depressing to see how deep in the hole the state is. What a terrible mess.