Pages

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Problems at school

Well, I'm on duty again this week. We have the usual problems: faculty
shortages, principal absenteeism (with this week's absences, I think
that brings him to 1.5 days attendance in the last 3 weeks), teachers
not coming to school on time and not teaching their lessons and
leaving early, overworked school staff bearing the brunt of criticism
for the problems associated with problems 1 and 2. And now, we have a
few new and exciting ones all the while end-term exams start next
week.

The printer has been broken all week, which means that things like the
exam timetable can't be printed. Yesterday, the kitchen ran out of
food. Even after I returned my food. That meant that several students
didn't get lunch. I am not proud of the quality of the lessons that
came after lunch, although I think that they would have been even
worse if I were wracked with guilt about taking food out of the mouths
of students. There has to be a better way. One of them took a double
helping today. I pretende to discipline him, but really, I was
sympathizing. Then, one of the students who was sweeping the room with
the mimeograph (old school copy machine) apparently swiped a copy of
the 2nd year chemistry exam (somewhat reminiscent of certain members
of OPRF's class of 2003). There is a prime suspect, but I'm worried
about things turning into a witchhunt here. This one could have
probably been averted if teachers would arrive at school before their
lessons start. Exams are turning out to be a royal headache, since our
principal has absconded with the instructions for the lab component of
the exams. That means we kinda have to guess which chemicals to order
and hope that the students get the results that they are supposed to
find. Also, we haven't used it yet, but the lab plumbing is falling
apart. I can't figure out what they used for pipes, but it seems only
slightly stronger than cardboard. I also got nitric acid in my eye.
Whoops. No damage, but I'm pretty fed up with my role as lab
technician.

I should be in Ghana right now. Oh how I wish I were in Ghana.

2 comments:

Thuy said...

So that you could hang out with Barry?

Thuy said...

Oops, I forget that you don't get all the news we get. Barry Obama was in Ghana on Saturday July 11. I don't know if the dates exactly overlap with you saying that you should be in Ghana.