Pages

Friday, July 3, 2009

Insomnia

I've always been a bit prone to it. For most of the last week I've
been having trouble going to sleep early. Last night, I stayed up
until 11 pm grading exams. I figured I would crash. No such luck.

After a few futile attempts to sleep, I decided to make myself a
nightcap. Or 3. Part of the problem has been having a cold and then
last night, my stomach was acting up too. Sadly, I didn't use my night
time energy very productively, although I did explore some interesting
mathematical patterns (that's just what I do).

As the hours crept on, I started tracking the Cubs game on my cell
phone. I happened to pick it up as they put on some offense, complete
with a grand slam. I would stay up until 4 every night if it meant the
Cubs would play like that. At about 4:45, I finally managed to get
some pretty restless sleep before the schoolday.

I'll be going into school tomorrow to make up for my low productivity
today. 4th of July is just another day here. Still, I'm glad that I'll
be spending the holiday with some of my favorite people: my students.
Now I just have to resist the temptation to break into the chemistry
lab and teach the students how to make fireworks...

No comments: