Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

Pre-Exam Post

Exams are starting for the whole school today. The fourth years actually started doing exams two weeks ago to get ready for their national exams in November. It's been a long haul for them. The exams we have been giving them were written at the district level (like a county, I suppose), which means that they were relatively error free and came with answer keys (I was grateful that the students would get better exposure in agriculture). The fourth years had a total of 20 exams. The other exams were supposed to start and finish last week, but that got changed. It threw a bit of a wrench into the scheduling, but then, things never go exactly as planned here. The plan is to give lots of exams (I will be giving physics to the first years; math, agriculture to the second years; 2 math exams, 2 chem exams and 1 agric exam to the third years [yikes!!!]; on top of 2 agriculture and 2 chemistry to the fourth years, but those ones are nearly done) and grade them, return them and submit the report cards by Monday of next week. I already did one stack for fourth year chemistry. It was not very pretty (average was 20%, high score was 60%, and there was only one other student who scored above 40%). Things are going to be pretty busy (hence my reversion to this format of blogging). Just when I had hoped for a respite from all the work of writing the exams.

Also, a few more notes from the weekend. Just before I got on the matatu in Voi, I decided to run to the supermarket and grab a small block of cheddar. Well, the matatu was in no rush and it was also very hot, so by the time I got home (of course, there's no fridge) it was not the prettiest block of cheese I'd ever seen. I knew it was now or never, so I made myself 4 grilled cheese sandwiches. Yummmmm! I'll have to do that again.

I had to reevict those wasps. This time, they decided to set up their nest on my front door. Well, I decided to just by a can of insect killer and get rid of them for good (I feel like I had given them enough warnings). They are gone again. I hope they stay away this time.

No comments: