Pages

Saturday, July 25, 2009

I don't think we could have this conversation in the US

Today I went to Voi to get some groceries and take care of some things
on the internet. When I arrived, I saw a group of Americans. And I
walked right past them. Most times when I see Americans, they are just
here for a safari and I find that we have little in common. Still,
something seemed different about this group, so I turned around and
introduced myself.

As it turns out, they're also volunteers. They're here for 3 weeks
helping a village to build a cultural center for the Taitas. They
seemed like a nice group (about 8 of them, including a girl from the
North End in Boston). We only talked for about five minutes, but my
favorite excerpt was:

Girl: So do you have rain in your area?
Me: Nope. It's dry as a bone. Actually, today was the first time I've
taken a bucket bath in almost 2 weeks.
Girl: Oh, yeah. We have the same problem. I haven't showered in a week.

I'll miss exchanges like this when I come back to the States.

No comments: