Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Other People's Homework

I was one of those kids in school who used to have lots of people asking for help with their homework. Sometimes, they were asking me about classes that I hadn't actually taken yet, but in almost all cases, I tried to help them however I could.

These days, I am usually the one who replies to emails with general queries for GCS. This week, I received an email from a university student asking some questions for an assignment from a class. If you ever find yourself in this position, I have a few pieces of advice for people who may need to ask for homework help in the future:

1. Don't just copy-paste your homework assignment onto the email. Scheduling an interview is better than a numbered list of 19 questions that look like they came right off of a worksheet. Also, looking at some of the questions, I have some doubts about the professor teaching the class
2. Make sure you know the name of the company you're writing to. I do not work at GSC. There is a company called GSC here in Arusha. Maybe I should direct future queries to them instead.
3. Most university students use their school email. It lends credibility. Emails from a Yahoo account trip some red flags.
4. Just wanna go back to the first point. I don't know if there's a rule for something like no more than 7 questions requiring a substantial answer in an email (especially an email to a stranger). Does anyone have a better rule? If not, let's make this 7 Questions rule official. Tell your friends about it. Extra points if you come up with a good name for this rule.

No comments: