Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Pay it forward

So I was never a big fan of Polonius. But his "neither a borrower nor a lender be" tidbit was some pretty good advice. In fact, that's one of the main things that stops me from supporting some worthy causes is that I don't want people to strain themselves to pay me back (which most of the people who ask me will inevitably do).

However, this week, my Tanzanian friend Baraka asked me for money so that he could buy a passport. I would not consider his one of the neediest cases that I've been faced with, but he had a few things to recommend him. First, I know how fortunate I am to have traveled as widely as I have and I am grateful for the perspective it has given me, so in that sense, I see a passport as a valuable educational tool.

Second, I know that Baraka understands my living conditions and can distinguish the fact that I live the life of a middle class Tanzanian, which is very different from the lifestyle of a middle class American of the sort who he likely sees hopping on safari buses in town or eating at the restaurants that most Tanzanian customers can't afford. And third, I knew that he understood what I meant when I told him that I didn't want him to pay me back. I don't want favors or repayment (I gave him 1/6 of my monthly salary, which covers only 1/3 of his cost anyway), I'd rather that he take the opportunity when he finds it to help someone to attain their own goal.

In any case, I consider this an investment. Baraka is a really enthusiastic break dancer, and I could see him packing up and starting a break dancing school in some new location. But in any case, the first time that he crosses an international border and enters a new country, that will be payment enough for me.

No comments: