Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Work Permit!

I now have permission to stay in Tanzania for two years. It took a lot of paperwork and then waiting and also some "hidden costs". But it finally arrived.

In general, it's required for people on my class of permit to be focusing on skills-training, so I figured I'd attach a picture of me training our new sales staff on our sales entry system. It was a bit exhausting to do a 40 minute speech in Kiswahili, but I think it worked better that way. This week was pretty hectic with all the interviewing and logistics of people coming in and out of the office, but it looks like we have a good team moving forward.



Also, I hear that the camera adds ten years to the bald spot.

Oh, and in case you couldn't tell, my computer is working again! Reuben deserves most of the credit (he had a program that allowed me to boot so that I could run a file system check). It's nice to have him back (he got back on Sunday, right when my computer died) and living with us and joining our adventures. Of course, it also means that we're doing all the paperwork again to get his work permit...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good news on both work fronts - the permit and the computer! Congrats and continued good luck - Maureen "Kline"

Daniel said...

Thanks Maureen! That was definitely a bad week to be without a computer, but I guess I'd feel that way any week. It's amazing that I lived 9 months without a computer, and now it's hard to live one week without it...

Gil Zamfirescu-Pereira said...

A 40 minute speech in Kiswahili is pretty badass. Haven't you only been there for around a year total?

Anyway, glad to see things are going well. :)

Daniel said...

Hey Gil!

Thanks for posting in English this time, I didn't even realize you knew Chinese (also badass). Anyway, in one week, I'll mark my two year anniversary in the region (they speak Kiswahili in both Kenya and Tanzania), so even if you subtract the 2.5 months I spent in the states this summer, I've been here for quite a while. Where are you these days? Any solar photo-bioreactors in your life?